Amount: 30.451 euros – 2019
Implementation period: Ongoing since June, 2019
Partners: Therme Bucuresti
The Pediatric Oncology Department from the Bucharest Oncology Institute is the largest pediatric oncology department in Romania, from a total of 13 departments and with over 100 children from the 400 new cases reported annually in the National Child Cancer Registry in Romania. According to the same source, a third of the solid tumors appearing in children are treated here.
Following a period of volunteering within the department, we have established a support system which identified the most stringent needs:
1. Modernization of the department and equipment with all the necessary medical devices;
2. Supporting the social assistance services, by employing a social worker:
- Assessing the patients’ and their families’ social needs and offering support.
- Informing regarding the rights of the special needs persons, in case of death, transportation, etc.
- Communication with other institutions such as The County Department of Social Assistant Services and Child Welfare, Town Halls, Health Insurance Authorities.
- Scheduling patients for periodical medical check-ups (RMN, CT, surgery, radiotherapy, etc.)
- Counseling regarding obtaining death certificates and organizing transport.
- Approaching and communicating with associations that are active in the area of pediatric oncology.
- Requests for emergency help
- Social surveys
- Transport to other institutions – The County Department of Social Assistant Services and Child Welfare, Health Insurance Authorities, other hospitals, etc
3. Implementing the Toy Closet – the existence of a closet periodically supplied with new toys collected from donors through media campaigns. These are offered to children under treatment in the hospital by the medical staff.